READING, Pa. - Desmond Hammond, a local boxing promoter, has died nearly a month-and-a-half after being shot at a tavern where he worked in Reading.
"It's a sad thing when you see these senseless acts of violence taking place in our community," said Marshall Kauffman, Hammond's uncle and owner of King's Gym on Elm Street in Reading.
Hammond worked as the King's Promotions' director of operations.
"If I could simplify what [Hammond] did for me in just a few words, it would be he had my back," said Kauffman
Kauffman had Hammond's back, too, after Hammond was released from prison. Hammond was convicted of the third-degree murder in the death of a man in Schuylkill County in 2004. After his release, he went to work for his uncle at King's Promotions.
"The important part is that he was my nephew and I was really just trying to give him that second chance in life, as everybody needs," said Kauffman.
Hammond had only recently begun working at the Coachlight Tavern at South 19th and Cotton streets and was shot on the night of the tavern's grand opening. Kauffman said he'll be remembered by many as a stand-up guy.
"If I could say anything what he meant to me, more than anything was that he had my back," he said. "Here I felt, the whole time like I had his back, because I was giving him that opportunity to do something, but he really had my back."
Parents who have kids in the Governor Mifflin School District spoke out tonight at a community forum and town hall-style meeting, as the district looked to take the conversation off social media and bring it face-to-face with parents.Read More »
- Pothole-riddled road causes problems for Centre residents
- Man accused of embezzling more than $400K from employer
- Reading High School to install new, HD security cameras
- Pa. Senate leaders, US congressmen sue over district map
- Commissioner: Pa. plans to eliminate county-owned homes
- Franklin Street Station on track for opening of gastropub
- Updated Parkland schools closed after fire tears through bus garage
- Updated Man shot in the arm outside Allentown nightclub
- Chilly today with more rain, some ice to the north
- Man critical after being shot in the face in Allentown
- Updated Life Lessons: Budgeting on a roller coaster income
- William Allen student arrested, charged with making threats
- Planners updated on Five City Center, Lafayette College projects
- Hearing on fracking draws dozens, many opposed
- Updated Tractor-trailer wreck closes I-78 for hours Thursday night
- Gov. Mifflin parents sound off about safety concerns