HEIDELBERG TWP., Pa. - An accident that killed a 30-year-old pedestrian in front of his wife and friends on Wednesday night is now being investigated as a hit-and-run, according to police.
Investigators said James Gladfelter, of Womelsdorf, was riding a motorcycle with four others when his bike broke down around 9 p.m. near Weiser Lane. His wife was trailing behind in a vehicle that then pulled over with its blinkers on, police said.
"[Gladfelter] knew somebody that lived across the street and he was going to walk across the street and see if he could leave his motorcycle there until he could come and get it... and when he walked out into the travel lane, he was hit," said Trooper David Beohm, Pennsylvania State Police.
"I heard a really loud crash and I heard this lady screaming so loud," said Amber Auman, who lives near the scene. "The guy was lying in the middle of the street and I was like, 'Oh my God.'"
The driver, Yovanny Maldonado-Rosado, 34, of Reading, continued driving in his 2006 Suzuki SUV, according to police.
He was then followed by the other motorcyclists and ultimately turned around, police said.
Gladfelter died at the scene. Route 422 was closed for approximately five hours.
As of now, Maldonado-Rosado has not been charged. Police are investigating to determine how fast he was driving.
According to people who live in the area, drivers often drive far too fast along 422 near the scene of the crash.
"Some of 'em are really flying, that I can tell you," said Victor Cox.
Anyone who may have witnessed the accident is asked to call state police.
Berks County will no longer provide sheriff or emergency services department resources for the popular Reading 120 bicycle race in 2017.Read More »
- UGI customers to see slight increase in gas bill
- Time to get your fill of fastnachts
- Road blocks: Stopping drug trafficking in Reading
- Local tree service companies face busy week after storm
- Millersville women edge Kutztown in PSAC Tournament opener
- Middletown's buzzer-beater sinks Berks Catholic in District 3 semis
- Allentown hit-and-run victim dies week after incident
- Updated Nearly record warmth this afternoon and tomorrow with a few showers
- It's Fastnacht Day in Pennsylvania
- Updated Road blocks: Stopping drug trafficking in Reading
- Updated UGI customers to see slight increase in gas bill
- Updated Police arrest Hunterdon man on assault charges
- Allentown police arrest unwelcome guest outside apartment building
- Man allegedly tries to head-butt arresting officers, damages patrol car
- Man tells police he stole mom's money as she slept
- Allentown man charged in connection with robbery and shooting