GREENWICH TWP., Pa. - A quick burst of snow led to a number of serious problems on highways around the region Thursday morning.
Two of the big trouble spots were Interstate 78 in northern Berks County and the Pennsylvania Turnpike between the Morgantown and Reading interchanges.
I-78 East was closed between mileposts 35 and 40; the westbound side of the highway was shut down around milepost 40 for an accident involving multiple vehicles.
Forty-four people were injured in the wrecks, said a deputy chief with the Kutztown Fire Company, who added that 25 of them required transport to area hospitals for treatment of their injuries.
Thirteen of the victims were trapped in eight vehicles, and two of them suffered life-threatening injuries, he said.
The accidents prompted authorities to declare a "mass casualty incident," calling for multiple emergency crews to respond or stand by to assist. Area hospitals were notified to expect an influx of patients.
The Berks County Communications Center asked drivers to avoid I-78 until the wrecked vehicles could be removed and the highway cleared of any remaining snow and ice.
As for the Pennsylvania Turnpike, multiple accidents were reported between the Morgantown and Reading interchanges.
The westbound lanes of the turnpike between those interchanges were closed for much of the day before reopening shortly before 5:30 p.m.
A brazen crime spree that spread up and down the East Coast of the United States may have come to an end in Berks County.Read More »
- Grillers BBQ for a good cause
- Cabela's honors 'hometown heroes'
- Crews knock out 2-alarm house fire near Bechtelsville
- Fire destroys barn near Robesonia
- Group hopes to open medical marijuana dispensary in Berks
- Hopkins pulls off massive comeback to down Alvernia at NCAA Regional
- Updated Clerk shot in Whitehall robbery listed in stable condition
- Updated Cosby 'holding up' as jury pick gets underway
- Police: Group busted in Berks suspects in other East Coast thefts
- Updated Coroner identifies body found under Linden Street Bridge
- Updated Buckeye Tavern reopens 2 years after devastating fire
- Montgomery County launches app to help those in need of CPR
- Cooler and cloudy this afternoon with areas of rain and fog
- BUSH to rock Sands Event Center this summer
- Easton's Common Space Kitchen gives food entrepreneurs a launching point
- LIVE original lineup to perform at Musikfest this summer