Berks

Neighbors hear loud bang, then house goes up in flames

Berks family were able to get out safely

Fire destroys Berks County home, leaving 3 dogs dead

ROBESON TWP., Pa. - Officials in Berks County are trying to figure out what caused a fire that destroyed a home Sunday afternoon.

The fire broke out at 448 Weaver Rd. in Robeson Township.

The family was able to make it out of the home unharmed, but three of their dogs died in the flames.

The homeowner's father said he lost his wife and son in a fire 20 years ago, so this blaze hit him hard. He said he's happy his grandson and daughter are OK.

"My grandson was in the basement and all at once saw the smoke and he got out and the dog got out, but he couldn't get any more of them out," said John Sparr.

Neighbors said they heard a loud bang when the fire broke out.

A Pennsylvania State Police fire marshal said the fire started on the second floor, near the chimney. He estimated the damage to be $390,000.


DISCLAIMER FOR COMMENTS: The views expressed by public comments are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the TERMS OF USE  and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Your comments may be used on air. Be polite. Inappropriate posts or posts containing offsite links may be removed by the moderator.

Allentown, PA 18102

42°F

Overcast

TONIGHT

34°F

  • %

This Week's Circulars

Top Stories

Latest from the newsroom

More from the Newsroom