69-WFMZ-TV's investment in new on-air traffic technology came just in time for motorists trying to navigate their way around roads closed by a police manhunt in Berks County on Thursday.
The recent upgrades include a series of interactive maps that show real-time travel speeds and times on major roads around the region.
In the case of Thursday's search for a wanted man in southern Berks County, a stretch of Interstate 176 in Caernarvon and Robeson townships was closed because of the massive police presence.
That closure was indicated on the map in purple, while Route 10 -- the alternate method of travel for many motorists between Reading and the Pennsylvania Turnpike -- was highlighted in red because of the heavy traffic volume.
"Now this is also affecting [Route] 23, which has actually eased up a little bit on 23 there past Elverson, getting into Chester County," said Rick Edwards, as he reported the current traffic conditions on Thursday's 5:30 p.m. Berks Edition newscast.
Live PennDOT cameras also showed the congestion at the Morgantown interchange of the Pennsylvania interchange, where Interstate 176 begins its northerly route to the West Shore Bypass in Cumru Township.
At one point earlier in the day, turnpike traffic attempting to get off at Morgantown was backed up onto the highway because of the manhunt and the resulting road closures.
WFMZ's new traffic technology can also display the estimated time and speed of travel between Reading and other points around the region, including Philadelphia, Allentown, Lancaster and Pottsville.
A man who robbed two stores within hours of each other in Berks County on Wednesday is now behind bars, according to police, who said they believe the same suspect may have committed other holdups in Berks and Lehigh counties.Read More »
- Ace Hardware to open distribution center near Berks-Lebanon border
- 287(g) program hot topic at Berks commissioners meeting
- More than 100 businesses to strike on May Day
- Reading Health System honors its volunteers
- Disguised deadly drug in Lancaster could soon be in Berks
- Prosecutors seek harsher sentence for ex-congressional aide
- Woman dies after being attacked by her dog in Upper Macungie
- WFMZ's Lauren Kusik dances with the Lehigh Valley stars
- Police standoff underway in Bethlehem
- Allentown doctor pleads guilty to tax crimes
- Local lacrosse teams raise money for cancer charity
- Grieving father urges parents to get gun lock after tragedy
- Woman arrested for arson in Minersville fire
- I-80 WB reopened after ATV and car wreck
- Civic Theatre in Allentown launches capital campaign
- Eric Frein sentenced to death in trooper's slaying