READING, Pa. - A New York City cab driver's trip to Reading over the weekend included an unexpected stop at the Berks County Jail.
The arrest of Marquel Azor-Ortiz was the result of a tip from a federal drug agent about a drug transaction scheduled to take place Saturday night in the 1100 block of Franklin Street in Reading, according to court documents released Monday.
Law enforcement authorities watching the block moved in on a parked cab and ordered the driver out of the car.
A search of the cab turned up a bag with approximately 3.3 pounds of crystal methamphetamine hidden in the spare tire area of the trunk, police said.
Azor-Ortiz, 36, of the Bronx, New York, was arraigned on drug charges and committed to the Berks County Jail on $1 million bail. He may be subject to deportation to the Dominican Republic, where he was born, officials said.
- Reading to hold Craft Time in the Pagoda
- Benefit basketball game played to honor former Schuylkill Valley student
- Allentown men charged after fatal crash involving stolen van
- From restaurants to rails, St. Patrick's Day fun for all
- PSU president meets with community leaders in Reading
- Change of plans: Bear Creek to extend season a few more days
- Updated Allentown Police: Kevin Esterly arrested, Amy Yu located in Mexico
- Bethlehem pulls together to hold St. Patrick's Day parade
- Allentown's St. Patrick's Day parade to be held Sunday
- Law enforcement on lookout for impaired drivers this weekend
- State police respond to incident in Berks County
- Weekend weather a pot of gold at the end of a cold week
- Firefighters douse Allentown fire, 1 family temporarily displaced
- Copperhead Grille chefs share tasty recipes with 69 News
- Bagpipe players give musical performance at 69 News studio
- Allentown hurlers give demonstration of the sport for 69 News