READING, Pa. - Behind early homers from Tony Thomas and Mike Kvasnicka, the New Britain Rock Cats (48-48) defeated the Reading Fightin Phils (39-56) by a score of 6-3. New Britain evened up the 5-game series with the victory. Phillies catcher Wil Nieves, who is on a rehab assignment in Reading, went 0-5 in his first game of the weekend with Reading.
Jake Fox and Aaron Altherr hit back-to-back solo home runs in the 6th, but the Fightins still trailed by 2 after that and did not score again.
Severino Gonzalez gave up 5 earned runs and 8 hits over 6.2 innings in the loss.
The Fightin Phils and Rock Cats continue their series with a double-header at FirstEnergy Stadium on Saturday night. Game 1 begins at 5:35 with game 2 to follow.
- Almost like summer at FirstEnergy Stadium
- Museum field trip a donation in photographer's memory
- BB gun-toting vandals shooting out car windows in Reading
- Trump's first 100 days: Alvernia professor weighs in
- Berks businesses honored as 'People's Choice' leaders
- PSP troopers injured in struggle with bar patron
- Today cooler, closer to seasonable with more clouds than sun
- Yo ho ho! Pennsylvania aims to smash US embargo on Cuban rum
- Candidates for Allentown mayor weigh in on the issues
- President Trump signs executive order on trade while in Pennsylvania
- Updated Bethlehem Twp. police search for purse snatchers
- Girlfriend's on-air killing drives anchorman into politics
- New Salvation Army opens in Berks
- First responders practice emergency preparedness at LVIA
- Crews rescue woman from Allentown fire
- Mahoning Drive-in Theatre is open for business