SPRING TWP., Pa. - A life-saving device will soon be closer at hand for anyone experiencing a heart-related emergency in one of three Berks County's parks.
The Run4Sam Race, run each year at Gring's Mill in Spring Township, will donate three fixed AED units to the Berks County park system. They will be installed at Gring's Mill, the Berks County Heritage Center in Bern Township, and at the Bingaman Nature Center at Antietam Lake Park in Lower Alsace Township.
County park rangers are already equipped with several portable AED units, but two of them have become obsolete, so Run4Sam will also replace those.
Run4Sam was created in memory of Sam Reed, who was struck and killed by a drunk driver in 2007 while he was a sophomore at the University of Pittsburgh.
The 11th annual 4-mile/10K run in his honor will be held at Gring's Mill on Sunday, August 19. It will be followed by a kid's fun run that will start after the race/walk.
The nonprofit also gives back to the community each year by donating to local charities instead of offering participating medals and trophies.
Each year since its inception in 2008, Run4Sam has also supported Gring's Mill and the county's park system with various donations, including $10,000 to construct a pavilion.
Reading's former managing director discussed his accomplishments and his firing, one day after learning he'd been terminated and one week after being put on administrative leave.Read More »
- Reading stages final Downtown Alive concert of summer season
- PHOTOS: Galactic Empire closes 2018 Downtown Alive series
- One Tank Trip: Dinosaurs in Motion at Reading Public Museum
- Fast-moving flames engulf motorhome near Virginville
- Car 'nowhere to be found' after crash on Route 61 in Hamburg
- Fired managing director: 'I felt like a punching bag'
- Council members say faith is lost in Phillipsburg mayor
- Dog the Bounty Hunter to join search for Shawn Christy
- Updated Reading mayor responds to former city manager's comments
- Updated 22-year-old injured in second Pottstown shooting within 24 hours
- Bucks woman sentenced in fatal DUI crash
- Life Lessons: Eye contact key to bonding with baby
- Hearing scheduled for former South Whitehall officer charged in fatal shooting
- Judge nixes Cosby request to step down; sentencing set for Monday
- Man wanted for killing parents, shooting at ex-wife in Chester County found dead
- Allentown narrowly approves debt refinancing