GREENWICH TWP., Pa. - An overturned tractor trailer created quite a bit of traffic troubles on Interstate 78 on Wednesday.
The big rig hit the rear of a car that slowed for a retread in the middle of the right lane and rolled onto its side and partially down an embankment, state police said.
The accident happened at 2:40 p.m., blocking both westbound lanes of traffic at mile-marker 38.2, between the Krumsville (Exit 40) and Lenhartsville (Exit 35) interchanges, in Greenwich Twp., Berks Co.
The driver of the tractor trailer, Carl Odhner, 62, of Stony Run, Pa., was trapped in his rig and had to be freed by rescue crews, state police said. He was transported to Lehigh Valley Hospital near Allentown for evaluation.
The occupants of the car that was struck -- Luis, 22, and Kimberly DeJesus, 20, of Fountain Hill, Lehigh Co. -- and a 1-year-old boy, were not injured.
While both westbound lanes of I-78 were closed, eastbound traffic was slow getting by the scene.
Link: PennDOT traffic cameras
Fire police were dispatched to 4th and State streets in Hamburg to assist police with directing traffic coming off the interstate and into the borough to avoid the delays.
- Updated Coroner called to Penn Twp. crash along Rt. 183
- Nazareth woman dies days after being struck by vehicle
- Man tells Allentown police he was stabbed in the back while walking along the street
- Walker Twp. man arrested for firing gun near neighbor's family gathering
- Life Lessons: The nurse who paints her patients
- Some rain/thunder this morning; PM shower/t-storm
- Purple Heart recipient gets honored Memorial Day weekend
- Lehigh Valley Zoo giraffe dies from neck injury
- Catasauqua police nab armed robbery suspect
- Countryside is making a strong comeback