Two people, including an assistant high school field hockey coach, are heading to trial in connection with the rape of a student athlete.
Alicia Colon, a coach at Kutztown Area High School, waived her right to a preliminary hearing in Dauphin County on Wednesday. She's charged with hindering apprehension, endangering the welfare of children and corruption of minors.
Rafael Gomez-Echavarria was ordered held for court on charges that include rape, sexual assault, aggravated indecent assault and unlawful contact with a minor.
Gomez-Echavarria, of Reading, raped the girl, now 16, inside a room at a hotel in Lower Swatara Twp., Dauphin Co., early on the morning of Aug. 4, police said.
Colon, fearing she may lose her coaching job, later tried to convince the girl to forget about the incident, saying, 'it will go away,' according to court documents.
The girl was spending the night in her coach's hotel room while in town to watch her sister play in the Keystone Games, police said. The victim's parents agreed to a "girl's night" with Colon and two others, but Colon then invited three men back to the room.
The girl reported she was asleep on the floor when Gomez-Echavarria began kissing her neck, said police, stating that the girl told him approximately five times to stop before he complied with her demands.
The girl was awakened again approximately two hours later by Gomez-Echavarria touching her "private areas" and ultimately forcing her to have intercourse, according to court documents. The girl told police she didn't scream for fear Gomez-Echavarria would harm her.
When the alleged ordeal was over, Gomez-Echavarria told the girl it was "our little secret" and went to sleep.
Colon initially told the girl to forget about the rape, police said. The victim kept quiet until she told her mom in October.
- Crews knock out 2-alarm house fire near Bechtelsville
- Grillers BBQ for a good cause
- Cabela's honors 'hometown heroes'
- Group hopes to open medical marijuana dispensary in Berks
- Hopkins pulls off massive comeback to down Alvernia at NCAA Regional
- Kingery's 2nd blast propels Fightins to 6th-straight win
- Updated Cosby 'holding up' as jury pick gets underway
- Updated Cooler and cloudy this afternoon with areas of rain and fog
- Coroner identifies Lehigh County man killed in Allentown police-involved shooting
- BUSH to rock Sands Event Center this summer
- Easton's Common Space Kitchen gives food entrepreneurs a launching point
- LIVE original lineup to perform at Musikfest this summer
- Rock icons Godsmack to headline Musikfest Aug. 9
- Lehigh County man charged with attempted homicide
- New Jersey police allege gun company sold defective guns
- Small plane crashes in Pennsylvania field, pilot not hurt