READING, Pa. - It was a close call in Reading on Monday as some large pieces of a vacant building fell to the ground.
Firefighters were dispatched shortly after 10 a.m. to the 300 block of North Sixth Street for the report of a partial structure collapse.
Crews arrived to find the sidewalk littered with debris, including some wooden pieces of the building's facade. Fortunately, no one was close enough to be injured.
Officials on the scene told 69 News that the building has been vacant since a fire damaged it a couple years ago.
Firefighters cordoned off the sidewalk in front of the building and called a city inspector to the scene to check the structure's integrity and make sure no further collapse is possible.
Last Memorial Day, 24-year-old Ryan Benjamin of East Vincent Township was found dead.Read More »
- Memorial Day services across Berks County
- PHOTOS: Observing Memorial Day
- Police in Berks County investigating discovery of ATM skimmer
- Authorities ID victim in fatal Penn Township crash
- Fallen heroes honored at City Park in Reading
- Memorial Day celebrations in Berks County
- One year later, police seek answers in Chester Co. woman's death
- Updated Police searching for man accused of robbing Allentown shop with knife
- A shower/strong thunderstorm this afternoon
- Updated Crews respond to morning house fire in Alburtis
- Updated Life Lessons: Closing the word gap for toddlers
- How you can help an Allen HS senior in the fight of his life
- Mourners deliver flowers in memory of Ernie the giraffe
- Freedom High student walks 22 miles for veterans
- Coroner called to crash in Lower Towamensing Twp.
- Visitors celebrate at Dorney Park despite rainy weather