WYOMISSING, Pa. - A bank robber, acting as if he had a bomb, was shot by a police officer Monday morning, police said.
The suspect, Dragos Ungurean, remained hospitalized Tuesday in intensive care under the guard of the Berks County Sheriff's Department.
The attempted robbery happened Monday morning at the M&T Bank at 8th and Penn avenues in Wyomissing, Berks Co.
"We heard the shot. Then we heard him scream, 'Oh,' like he was in pain," said a woman from Shillington.
"I decided to park and come over to see and the guy was laying there, and you could see the blood coming out of his side," said Nina Miranda.
Wyomissing police Detective George Bell happened to be inside the bank as a customer, said Chief Jeffrey Biehl.
Bell told investigators Ungurean, appearing to have something strapped on his body with wires sticking out of it, walked into the bank and ordered everyone to put up their hands, Biehl said.
When Bell approached Ungurean and ordered him to get on the ground, Biehl said he had to act quickly.
"The suspect said, 'You want everybody to be blown up?' And at that point, somewhere in between there, as they grappled, George pulled out his service revolver and shot the suspect," said Biehl.
Ungurean was shot in the stomach and taken to nearby Reading Hospital for surgery, police said.
No one else was hurt.
When authorities arrived at the scene, they also called upon the Reading Police Department's bomb squad and the FBI.
"The device the suspect used is a fake. It's a hoax," said Biehl. "It was just some wires and some deodorant cans hooked up to a LED little plunger thing he was using. He could click, but it is not an explosive device at all."
- Berks football fans flock to NFL Draft in Philadelphia
- Ace Hardware to open distribution center near Berks-Lebanon border
- 287(g) program hot topic at Berks commissioners meeting
- Robbery suspect may be linked to other holdups, police say
- More than 100 businesses to strike on May Day
- Reading Health System honors its volunteers
- Police standoff ends in Bethlehem; man taken out of home after 5 hours
- Updated PSP troopers injured in struggle with bar patron
- Quakertown CSD OKs proposed final budget
- Updated Woman dies after being attacked by her dog in Upper Macungie
- Updated Police: Argument leads to man being intentionally struck by vehicle
- Sunrise Chef: Sagra Bistro in Hellertown
- Police allege DUI suspect four times over the limit
- WFMZ says goodbye to Rosa Duarte
- Young woman tried using 83-year-old's ID to buy iPhones, police said
- Life Lessons: Calories in your cup of joe