CAERNARVON TWP., Pa. - A traffic stop led to an unexpected find for a state police trooper on the Pennsylvania Turnpike.
Trooper Justin Hope said he stopped an SUV for following another vehicle too closely in the eastbound lanes of the turnpike in Caernarvon Township, Berks County, on Monday.
Hope said his subsequent observations led him to suspect criminal activity, so he asked the driver for consent to search the rented SUV.
The driver, however, denied the trooper's request, so Hope called for the response of a state police K9 unit.
The dog detected the smell of drugs, giving police probable cause to search the vehicle according to court documents. That search, police said, turned up several large boxes and duffel bags that contained 106 vacuum-sealed bags of marijuana, weighing a total of approximately 106 pounds.
The driver, Todd Vowell, and the passenger, Raeanne Vowell, both of Rocklin, California, were arrested on various drug charges and committed to the Berks County Jail on $2 million bail each.
Criminal charges have been filed in the alleged case of two children being forced to perform sexual acts on their babysitter.Read More »
- Time to hit slopes at Bear Creek Mountain Resort
- Family, friends gather to remember, mourn Miguel Reyes
- 'Shop with a Cop' makes kids' Christmas brighter
- Fire destroys garage in Leesport
- Exeter evicts Viva as country club's caterer, pub operator
- Grease fire damages home near Barto, sends man to hospital
- Updated Period of light snow Friday; highest totals south, east
- Updated Wolf signs kids health coverage bill, urges Congress to act
- Alleged sexual 'predator' facing additional rape charges
- Babysitter charged in sexual assault of 2 young children
- Pete Rose defamation lawsuit dismissed after agreement
- Happy birthday, Coldilocks! Oldest polar bear in US turns 37
- SEPTA marks Philadelphia trolley's 125th anniversary
- Lehigh Valley businesses react to GOP tax proposal
- Updated Grand jury: Penn State showed 'shocking apathy' to drinking
- Sunrise Chef: Golazo House