READING, Pa. - A former Reading man was arrested Wednesday for allegedly trying to kill his 26-month-old daughter nearly three years ago.
A grand jury investigation led to the arrest of Hector Charles Garcia on attempted murder charges, said detectives with the Berks County district attorney's office.
Garcia, 23, now of Chester, Delaware Co., was home alone with his daughter in the 1000 block of Spring Street in Reading on March 17, 2010, when he called 911, detectives said.
Paramedics responded to the home for the report of a choking or unresponsive child, officials said. The child was rushed to Reading Hospital and then transferred to Hershey Medical Center for treatment.
The girl suffered a massive injury to her brain, a fractured skull and eight fractured ribs, doctors told investigators in December 2012, adding that the "injuries were consistent with the girl being thrown against something."
Dr. Mark Diaz, one of the doctors who treated the girl at Hershey, told detectives that she almost died in the operating room and that her injuries were "a classic shake and slam case," meaning the child was shaken and slammed against something or into or onto something, officials said.
The girl, who is now 5, is blind and can't walk or talk, is fed through a tube, and is completely dependent on others for her care, officials said.
Garcia was charged with attempted murder, aggravated assault, simple assault and endangering the welfare of a child. He was committed to the Berks County Jail on $200,000 bail.
- Coroner identifies man found dead in Schuylkill River
- Former Phillies pitcher Jim Bunning Passes Away at 85
- Body found in Schuylkill River in Cumru Township
- Famed Berks wrestling coach gone, but not forgotten
- Local police step up patrols for Memorial Day weekend
- Bullets blast way into District 3 championship game
- Updated Lehigh Valley Zoo giraffe dies from neck injury
- Great white shark Mary Lee detected off New Jersey coast
- Catasauqua store robbed at gunpoint
- Bucks man gets life plus 15 to 30 years in friend's shooting death
- PHOTOS: Observing Memorial Day
- In opioid crisis, a new risk for police: accidental overdose
- Monroe County farm holds annual Farm Animal Frolic
- Package that led to Newark airport evacuation deemed safe
- Fire destroys barn in Lehigh Twp.
- Artvana could take the place of former Mayfair Festival