CUMRU TWP., Pa. - Police in Berks County are searching for a robber who attacked a man on crutches behind his home.
Cumru Township police say the robbery happened in the alley behind the 1600 block of March Street.
They say a robber attacked a 32-year old man on crutches on Sunday around 1:30 a.m.
"I do not see anything other than the usual neighborhood kids. I guess after dark, that is when it goes bad," said Maryann Fretz, a neighbor.
Police say the robber came up from behind the victim, pushed him against a fence and pinned him there while he went through the victim's pockets.
The robber then took off with some cash and ran north down Lancaster Avenue and then east on McArthur Avenue.
Police tell us the victim was using crutches and was unable to fend off the attacker.
The victim declined to talk to us, but neighbors tell us he is the eyes of the neighborhood.
"He is usually the neighborhood watch. He is out at night, smoking cigarettes or whatever and he keeps an eye on the neighborhood," said Fretz.
And despite hearing of other thefts on their block, neighbors tell us they never expected anyone to be robbed.
"They usually hit this area quite often," said Larry Wolfe, a neighbor. "People walk through here. Nothing really serious until that one. Probably people looking for drug money."
"We lock our cars, we make sure the whole neighborhood has their cars locked because nobody wants to be a victim," said Fretz.
The robber is described as a Hispanic male, 20 to 30 years old, about 5 feet 9 inches to 5 feet 10 inches tall and weighing about 190 to 200 pounds.
He has dark hair pulled back into a long pony tail and scruffy facial hair.
The victim observed a 2001 to 2004 dark Ford Mustang travel the same route as the robber.
If you have any information about the robbery call Cumru Township Police at (610) 777-9595.
Berks County will no longer provide sheriff or emergency services department resources for the popular Reading 120 bicycle race in 2017.Read More »
- UGI customers to see slight increase in gas bill
- Time to get your fill of fastnachts
- Road blocks: Stopping drug trafficking in Reading
- Local tree service companies face busy week after storm
- Millersville women edge Kutztown in PSAC Tournament opener
- Middletown's buzzer-beater sinks Berks Catholic in District 3 semis
- Allentown hit-and-run victim dies week after incident
- Updated Nearly record warmth this afternoon and tomorrow with a few showers
- It's Fastnacht Day in Pennsylvania
- Updated Road blocks: Stopping drug trafficking in Reading
- Updated UGI customers to see slight increase in gas bill
- Updated Police arrest Hunterdon man on assault charges
- Allentown police arrest unwelcome guest outside apartment building
- Man allegedly tries to head-butt arresting officers, damages patrol car
- Man tells police he stole mom's money as she slept
- Allentown man charged in connection with robbery and shooting