ALBANY TWP., Pa. - A man was put behind bars Wednesday on charges he sexually abused three children while he babysat the boys over a period of several months, state police said.
Matthew Haak was arrested at his home in Albany Twp., Berks Co., near Lenhartsville, following a year-long investigation by state police.
Haak, 37, was friends with the boys' parents and watched their children, then ages 6, 7 and 8, a number of times between Jan. 1, 2010 and Nov. 14, 2010, state police said.
The mother of the 6- and 8-year-old boys became concerned last November when she noticed her younger son's pajamas had not been worn when he returned home from an overnight stay with Haak, according to the affidavit of probable cause.
The older boy then told his mother that his brother and Haak slept naked in bed and took showers together and that Haak touched both boys in their private areas, according to the court documents.
During an interview with investigators in Jan. 2011, Haak admitted to having inappropriate contact with the boys, police said.
In a conversation with a counselor in March 2011, the 8-year-old boy said Haak would have the boys watch a sex channel on TV, despite the boy telling Haak that it was not appropriate, according to court documents. The boy said Haak would yell at him and hit him with a belt.
The boy also told the counselor that Haak took pictures of him, his brother and the other boy while they were naked, according to the court documents. Based on that information, police said they seized a warrant to search Haak's home on April 5 and found pictures of the naked boys on Haak's computers and digital camera memory card.
On July 6, the two brothers were questioned by a forensic interviewer with the Berks County Children's Alliance Center. The 8-year-old boy said Haak would threaten to shoot him if he didn't have sex with him, according to the affidavit.
Haak was charged Wednesday with 36 counts of criminal charges, including involuntary deviate sexual intercourse with a child, sexual abuse of children, endangering the welfare of children, indecent assault, indecent assault, and corruption of minors.
Haak was committed to the Berks County Jail on $150,000 bail.
- Health Beat: 5 ways to protect your eyes from aging
- Fallen heroes honored at City Park in Reading
- Memorial Day celebrations in Berks County
- Police in Berks County investigating discovery of ATM skimmer
- A shower/some drizzle this afternoon
- Authorities ID victim in fatal Penn Township crash
- Nazareth woman dies days after being struck by vehicle
- Man tells Allentown police he was stabbed in the back while walking along the street
- Walker Twp. man arrested for firing gun near neighbor's family gathering
- Life Lessons: The nurse who paints her patients