TILDEN TWP., Pa. - As temperatures soar, Tilden Township police are reminding people that "The Rock," or "Peace Rock," a once-popular swimming area in the Schuylkill River, remains off-limits.
"People think it's their private playground instead of private property," said Chief William McEllroy, Tilden Township Police Department.
For safety reasons, the state-owned land is not open to the public.
Police said they cited eight people for trespassing on Wednesday. So far this year, police have issued more than 30 citations.
Last year, officials began to crack down on trespassers and posted warning signs around the Kernsville Dam Recreation Area. More than 80 people were cited in 2016.
Police said they've exhausted every means to get the word out, including installing more signs, updating maps of the Kernsville Dam Recreation Area, and sending updates on social media.
"You try to do our best to get the word out and people either just don't get it or they don't care and they're going to violate the law anyway," added McEllroy.
The chief added that his department has not yet seen any repeat offenders and hopes the fines will deter them.
"The fine for criminal trespass is up to $300, and then when you include the cost that the state adds on, it's close to $400," McEllroy explained.
More large signs are expected to go up before Memorial Day.
At Kutztown University's Keystone Arena, people were shooting basketball hoops to help a charitable cause.Read More »
- Santa's sleigh hits the streets in Exeter
- Opponents of proposed warehouse pack meeting in Tilden
- Ex-DJ says $1 payment to Taylor Swift sent by mail last week
- Snowmaking underway on slopes at Bear Creek in Berks
- Berks expecting to see season's first coating of snow
- Cups of Compassion still seeking donations for annual event
- Basketball fundraiser benefits charity that gives free haircuts to people with autism
- Fire damages several homes, structures in Wilson
- PHOTOS: The first snowfall of the season
- Smoke detectors donated in honor of boy, 9, who died in East Coventry fire
- FBI assisted police with incident at Parkland High School
- Saturday's snow exceeds expectations
- Excitement and cheer fill the North Pole Express
- Temperatures drop overnight, accidents reported across the region
- Husband charged in death of North Catasauqua woman
- Police investigate burglary at house in Hunterdon County