READING, Pa. - Residents in a Reading community are still in shock after learning that one of their neighbors was arrested on serious drug charges.
Yajaira Colon was arrested at her home in the 1000 block of Oley Street after she gave a package containing 540 grams of methamphetamines to an undercover state trooper, police said.
The crime happened Friday afternoon, police said.
While neighbors didn't see the alleged drug transaction, they say they did see the dramatic arrest.
"I just seen them knock the door down and arrest a couple of people," said Carlos McDaniel, who says Colon is a church-going woman who takes care of several dogs.
"She was a sweet lady. And she had all them dogs and everything. She was a really cool lady. When I saw that I was like wow, I couldn't believe it."
Colon agreed to cooperate and called the woman who allegedly supplied the drugs, a Rosa Reyes from the 400 block of N. 11st Street, in Reading, court documents said.
They agreed to meet at Colon's home, and once Reyes arrived, she was arrested, too, court documents indicated.
"I think it's terrible. Meth has no right being here," said William Smith, neighbor.
The raid was a controlled delivery conducted by the Bureau of Criminal Investigations Division of Drug Law Enforcement, Eastern Interdiction Unit.
It's an operation that neighbors welcome.
"It's really bad, we have a lot of kids, you know, like this stuff's got to stop," said Fashonda Davis, neighbor.
Reyes posted bail, and Colon is still behind bars on $50,000 bail, police said.
- Updated Cosby is in court to ask judge for outside jury for trial
- Warming trend to start the week, but a few showers return tomorrow
- Updated Albert Boscov remembered during memorial service
- Flemington man sentenced for child pornography
- Life Lessons: Swimming helps asthma
- Updated Boscov: An American Story
- Strong storms, winds leave damage across the region
- Cell phone store robbed at gunpoint
- Pink slips may await some Pennsylvania public universities
- Updated Bonilla kicks off campaign for Lehigh County Commissioner