READING, Pa. - A Reading woman put a group of children playing with toy squirt guns in harm's way when she pulled out a real gun and opened fire, police said.
Officers were dispatched shortly before 4:30 p.m. Sunday to the 1200 block of Green Street.
Residents of the block told police that four children were playing with squirt guns on the sidewalk when one of their neighbors, Billie Jo George, pulled out a real handgun and started pointing it at the kids, according to court documents.
One of the neighbors reacted by yelling to George, "What are you doing with a real gun! Why are you pointing it at my kids? They are only kids!" according to court documents.
The woman then ran inside her home and called police, and while inside, she said she heard a loud "pop."
Other witnesses told police that George, standing on her porch and pointing the gun at the street, fired a round.
George, 24, was subsequently arrested and charged with four counts of recklessly endangering another person, discharge of firearms, propulsion of missiles onto roadways and disorderly conduct. She was committed to the Berks County Jail on $75,000 bail.
- Vehicle hits apartment building in Wyomissing
- Bethlehem Twp. police search for purse snatchers
- Candidates for Allentown mayor weigh in on the issues
- Birdsboro church closes its doors after 180 years
- Fans rally to support Phantoms hockey
- Yo ho ho! Pennsylvania aims to smash US embargo on Cuban rum
- Girlfriend's on-air killing drives anchorman into politics
- New Salvation Army opens in Berks
- First responders practice emergency preparedness at LVIA
- President Trump signs executive order on trade while in Pennsylvania