WEST READING, Pa. - Police say a mother gave birth using another woman's stolen identity.
The crime allegedly happened on Wednesday, May 14, at the Reading Hospital.
Sharena Randall, 28, from Wyomissing, stole vital information from the another woman's insurance card, investigators said.
"The insurance company had then been contacted, and contacted the victim, only to find out she, in fact, did not have a child," said detective Joe Brown, West Reading Police Department.
Court documents say the father of the child, Genesis Grayson, was also at the hospital, and knew that Randall was providing false information.
It still remains unclear how Randall and Grayson allegedly obtained the victim's insurance information, but police say the victim noticed her insurance cards were missing several weeks ago.
"No insurance cards were produced when they went to the hospital, just the person's name and date of birth were used; that's why the investigation is ongoing," Detective Brown said.
Police say both Randall and Grayson are behind bars, each unable to post their respective bail of $10,000.
Both suspects face a long list of theft and forgery-related charges.
Berks County will no longer provide sheriff or emergency services department resources for the popular Reading 120 bicycle race in 2017.Read More »
- UGI customers to see slight increase in gas bill
- Time to get your fill of fastnachts
- Road blocks: Stopping drug trafficking in Reading
- Local tree service companies face busy week after storm
- Millersville women edge Kutztown in PSAC Tournament opener
- Middletown's buzzer-beater sinks Berks Catholic in District 3 semis
- Allentown hit-and-run victim dies week after incident
- Updated Nearly record warmth this afternoon and tomorrow with a few showers
- It's Fastnacht Day in Pennsylvania
- Updated Road blocks: Stopping drug trafficking in Reading
- Updated UGI customers to see slight increase in gas bill
- Updated Police arrest Hunterdon man on assault charges
- Allentown police arrest unwelcome guest outside apartment building
- Man allegedly tries to head-butt arresting officers, damages patrol car
- Man tells police he stole mom's money as she slept
- Allentown man charged in connection with robbery and shooting