READING - Portland continues to play well against Reading in 2014 as they beat the Fightin Phils 8-1 on Monday night. All eight runs for the Sea Dogs came with two outs in the game. Mike Nesseth gave up five runs through two innings of work. He walked three batters and recorded one strikeout in his second loss of the season.
Portland got on the board first off Mike Nesseth in the top of the first inning as Blake Swihart hit a two RBI double to give the Sea Dogs a 2-0 lead. Deven Marrero hit a two-run home run off Nesseth in the top of the second inning and Travis Shaw followed with a solo home run to give Portland a 5-0 lead. Mike Nesseth left the game after two innings as he allowed five runs off four hits with three walks.
The Fightin Phils got a run off Sea Dogs starter Keith Couch in the bottom of the third inning as Cameron Perkins hit a RBI groundout to score Cesar Hernandez who hit a triple before him. Tyler Knigge pitched three scoreless innings in relief issuing one walk while giving up two hits. He recorded three strikeouts.
Portland scored three more runs against the Fightins to take a 8-1 lead in the top of the eighth inning. All three runs came against Nefi Ogando as Mookie Betts and Deven Marrero hit RBI singles.
Hector Neris pitched two scoreless innings while Austin Wright pitched a scoreless ninth inning. The Fightin Phils look to even the series up on Tuesday at 6:35 pm. The Fightin Phils will send Severino Gonzalez to the mound.
- 2.3 magnitude earthquake hits Lancaster County
- Local libraries fight to survive budget cuts
- Berks man who turned life around giving back to Humane Society
- Legendary coach honored at Kutztown Area High School
- Boyertown drops Pope John Paul II in PAC baseball tilt
- Police say couple had guns, thousands of dollars of drugs
- Trial begins for accused getaway driver in 2015 killing spree
- Eric Frein sentencing continues Monday, focus shifts to Frein's father
- Updated Small earthquake rattles parts of Pennsylvania
- Updated Mango tells Republicans he'll seek gubernatorial nomination
- Updated Police arrest third man allegedly tied to drug deal assault
- Updated Mostly cloudy with a bit of rain this afternoon; rain continues through early Wednesday
- Street closures scheduled for downtown Allentown this week
- Pet owners learn animal CPR to help their furry friends
- Life Lessons: 3 Jars
- State police: 1 killed in crash with State Police vehicle