HARRISBURG, Pa. - A Reading-based utility will pay $96,000 in connection with a gas ignition incident in Luzerne County.
The Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission said Wednesday it finalized the civil penalty against UGI Utilities Inc.
The PUC investigation was triggered by an incident on June 5, 2012, when a UGI contractor working on a bare steel/cast iron main replacement project on West Holly Street in Hazleton, caused a spark that ignited natural gas.
A worker received a minor flash-burn.
The PUC's independent investiigators alleged that UGI violated federal and PUC regulations during the incident.
UGI did not admit any wrongdoing in the settlement.
The settlement also requires the company to revise its operating procedures to safeguard against a similar incident occurring in the future.
PUC officials said the $96,000 can not be charged to rate payers.
Allentown, PA 18102