MUHLENBERG TWP., Pa. - A high-speed chase spanning two counties ended in Muhlenberg Township, Berks County, but the driver is still at large.
The pursuit started around 7 p.m. Thursday on the Route 222 Bypass in Upper Macungie Township, Lehigh County, and ended nearly 25 miles away at Oak and West Bellevue avenues in Muhlenberg Township, police said.
That is where neighbors witnessed numerous police cars speeding through the neighborhood in pursuit of the vehicle.
"I saw a car drive by fast and a bunch of cops, so I was like, 'What is going on?" said witness Zach Andrews.
The chase began when police said they spotted the vehicle speeding. They said the driver fled from officers, drove through Kutztown and hit the back end of an occupied vehicle. The driver then continued to lead them down Route 222 and into a development near Route 61.
The driver then jumped out of his car at Oak and West Bellevue avenues ran off into the woods, police said.
His car was not in park and continued to roll up the driveway and into the side of a home in the 700 block of Bellevue Avenue, causing minor damage.
"I am surprised to see Upper Macungie police, especially three of them down here in Muhlenberg Township. That is way out of sorts. We do not have a problem this way," said Joel Yeakley, of Muhlenberg Township.
Police said they are searching for a thin black man in his 20s who stands about six feet tall. He was wearing a white tank top and dark shorts.
Police have located the driver of the car and said they don't believe he was the man behind the wheel during the chase.
Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call the Upper Macungie Township police at 484-661-5911.
Last Memorial Day, 24-year-old Ryan Benjamin of East Vincent Township was found dead.Read More »
- Memorial Day services across Berks County
- PHOTOS: Observing Memorial Day
- Police in Berks County investigating discovery of ATM skimmer
- Authorities ID victim in fatal Penn Township crash
- Fallen heroes honored at City Park in Reading
- Memorial Day celebrations in Berks County
- One year later, police seek answers in Chester Co. woman's death
- A shower/strong thunderstorm this afternoon
- Updated Crews respond to morning house fire in Alburtis
- Updated Police searching for man accused of robbing Allentown shop with knife
- Updated Life Lessons: Closing the word gap for toddlers
- How you can help an Allen HS senior in the fight of his life
- Mourners deliver flowers in memory of Ernie the giraffe
- Freedom High student walks 22 miles for veterans
- Coroner called to crash in Lower Towamensing Twp.
- Visitors celebrate at Dorney Park despite rainy weather