BERKS COUNTY - The Reading and Berks Catholic boys basketball teams won league games on Thursday night. The Red Knight won at Daniel Boone while the Saints knocked off Twin Valley at home.
In Birdsboro, Reading (3-1, 8-4) pulled away from Daniel Boone (1-3, 6-5) in the second half, recording a 57-41 road win.
The Blazers only trailed by five at halftime, but the Red Knights outscored them by 11 in the final two quarters to seal the victory.
Reading's Gil Benz led all scorers with 16 points. MeMe Burdine added 13 and Khary Mauras another 12 for the Red Knights.
Kenny Worthington was the only Blazer to score in double-digits, pouring in 11.
Reading visits Frankford on Saturday afternoon. Boone will also be on the road Saturday, at Conrad Weiser.
At Berks Catholic, the Saints (4-0, 7-3) defeated Twin Valley (2-2, 4-6) by a 49-31 score on Thursday.
Both Nana Foulland and Chris Warren were hurt for Berks Catholic, with Warren's appearing more severe. Foulland returned to the game but Warren did not. No word has been given on the extent.
B.C. head coach Snip Esterly was also honored for his 600th win before tip-off. He earned the milestone win in December.
Berks Catholic hosts Governor Mifflin Saturday afternoon. The Raiders visit Pequea Valley on Monday.
- Health Beat: 5 ways to protect your eyes from aging
- Fallen heroes honored at City Park in Reading
- Memorial Day celebrations in Berks County
- Police in Berks County investigating discovery of ATM skimmer
- A shower/some drizzle this afternoon
- Authorities ID victim in fatal Penn Township crash
- Nazareth woman dies days after being struck by vehicle
- Man tells Allentown police he was stabbed in the back while walking along the street
- Walker Twp. man arrested for firing gun near neighbor's family gathering
- Life Lessons: The nurse who paints her patients