READING, Pa. - A $10 million loan will be used to help Reading upgrade its aging sewer system.
The low-interest loan from the Pennsylvania Infrastructure Investment Authority will be put toward replacing the existing force main, said Pa. Sen. Judy Schwank and Pa. Rep. Tom Caltagirone, both Berks County Democrats.
The main broke several times last year, forcing officials to dump sewage into the Schuylkill River.
"This project will not only improve the functionality of the sewer system but it will also keep pollutants out of our river," said Schwank. "Citizens depend on our sewer systems to work properly and thanks to this funding award, the city can fix the problems and ensure that our system is working efficiently."
The loan, officials said, will also help pay for other improvements at the pumping station near Sixth and Canal streets.
Reading is under a federal consent decree to fix problems in the city's sewer system, which serves more than 22,000 households in Reading and bulk customers in 13 other municipalities.
Reading loves Marc Anthony, and it appears the Grammy Award-winning pop artist loves Reading.Read More »
- Umpire remembers crash victim as 'outstanding young man'
- Berks lawmakers explain Pennsylvania's compliance with Real ID law
- Wilson WL boys repeat as District 3 lacrosse champions
- UGI Energy Services presents scholarship to Berks foundation
- Kutztown baseball making most of playoff run
- Boyertown looks to enhance privacy in restrooms, locker rooms
- Updated Gov. Wolf signs Real ID law, expects new licenses in 2019
- Updated Man killed in crash with fire truck in Allen Township
- Updated Marc Anthony to come 'full circle' with return to Reading
- Updated Pa. health officials warn of possible measles exposure
- Updated Black bear spotted roaming Leopard country
- Health Beat: HPV cancers on the rise
- Passing showers but more seasonable Friday
- PPL deploying smarter technology
- Pennsylvania man sets Plinko record on 'Price is Right,' goes wild
- Strawberries are ripe for picking in Northampton County