READING, Pa. - Last season, the Reading girls put together a great run, and ended up winning a Berks I Championship. But they've stumbled a bit so far this year. In fact, they already had as many division losses this year as they did all of last season as they entered Thursday evening's showdown with a tough Governor Mifflin team.
Lady Mustangs' leading scorer Emily Gingrich scored the game's first basket, then left the game shortly thereafter with an ankle injury and would not return. That did not stop Mifflin from holding three-point halftime lead.
But in the second half, Reading took the upper hand, outscoring Mifflin 34-26. Jailyn Stern poured in a game-high 18 points for the Red Knights. Isis Thorpe added 15 as Reading used a late 7-2 run and clutch free throws to pull away late.
Melissa Martin led the lady Mustangs with 12 points. Megan McKay was also in double figures with 11.
Reading improves to 4-1, while Governor Mifflin drops to 4-3.
A man who robbed two stores within hours of each other in Berks County on Wednesday is now behind bars, according to police, who said they believe the same suspect may have committed other holdups in Berks and Lehigh counties.Read More »
- Berks football fans flock to NFL Draft in Philly
- Ace Hardware to open distribution center near Berks-Lebanon border
- 287(g) program hot topic at Berks commissioners meeting
- More than 100 businesses to strike on May Day
- Reading Health System honors its volunteers
- Disguised deadly drug in Lancaster could soon be in Berks
- Woman dies after being attacked by her dog in Upper Macungie
- WFMZ's Lauren Kusik dances with the Lehigh Valley stars
- Police standoff underway in Bethlehem
- Updated LVPC offers regional industrial development overview
- Updated Quakertown CSD OKs proposed final budget
- Allentown doctor pleads guilty to tax crimes
- Local lacrosse teams raise money for cancer charity
- Grieving father urges parents to get gun lock after tragedy
- Woman arrested for arson in Minersville fire
- I-80 WB reopened after ATV and car wreck