WEST READING, Pa. - It's a done deal. The Reading Health System has finalized a deal to acquire five hospitals around the region.
In addition to Reading Hospital, the newly formed Tower Health System now includes Brandywine Hospital in Coatesville, Chestnut Hill Hospital In Philadelphia, Jennersville Hospital in West Grove, Phoenixville Hospital in Phoenixville, and Pottstown Hospital in Pottstown, all of which were acquired from Tennessee-based Community Health Systems.
"We are coming together to create an even more dynamic, expansive and nationally recognized health system," said Clint Matthews, Tower Health's president and CEO. "Our new name, Tower Health, reflects our collective strength, innovative spirit and bold commitment to taking healthcare to new heights."
Tower Health's six hospitals and other entities around the region, including Reading Hospital Rehabilitation at Wyomissing, Reading Hospital School of Health Sciences, and Reading HealthPlex, employ more than 11,000 people and serve a population of more than 2.5 million.
"This is a tremendous opportunity to collectively deliver on our Tower Health promise of advancing health and transforming lives," Matthews said.
The acquisition, first announced in May, will take effect Sunday.
- Hundreds celebrate St. Patrick's Day aboard the Colebrookdale Railroad
- Reading to hold Craft Time in the Pagoda
- Benefit basketball game played to honor former Schuylkill Valley student
- Allentown men charged after fatal crash involving stolen van
- From restaurants to rails, St. Patrick's Day fun for all
- PSU president meets with community leaders in Reading
- Updated Mom: Amy Yu still in hospital, will attend KidsPeace
- Updated Tractor-trailer rolls on Route 33 ramp to I-78
- Updated Sunshine followed by clouds Monday, with highs in the mid 40s
- Local artist commemorates Eagles Championship Parade with unique print
- Family, neighbors react to Amy Yu's return to Allentown, Kevin Esterly's arrest
- Truck driving groups sue over turnpike toll increases
- Life Lessons: Fighting cancer with a warrior attitude
- Person on motorized wheelchair hit by car in Easton
- Fire tears through home in Moore Township
- 2 injured in DUI crash in Berks County