CUMRU TWP., Pa. - Police are investigating the deadly shooting of a man on a popular bicycle and walking trail in Berks County.
A rider discovered the body of Luis Salas-Ramos on the Thun Trail in Cumru Township around 7 a.m. Sunday.
According to police, Salas-Ramos, 41, of Reading, had been shot several times.
"At this point, we don't know exactly where this shooting took place," said Chief Jed Habecker, Cumru Twp. Police Dept. "We know we have multiple gunshot wounds, and we have a person lying on the Thun Trail."
The victim was wearing blue jeans and a red sweatshirt that has the phrase, "Do I look like a people person?" on it, police said.
Investigators said Luis-Ramos has a tattoo with what's believed to be a person's name on the left side of his chest, but they said the tattoo is illegible.
An autopsy was scheduled for 11 a.m. Monday.
Regulars showing up for their morning run or bike ride were surprised by the police presence.
"It scared me," said Eugene Koharcheck.
In spite of the killing, most said the trail is safe, and it won't stop them from coming.
"There's a lot of nice people who walk on the trail," said trail user Don Kosak. "It's very friendly."
This isn't the first shooting on the Thun Trail though. In January, a man shot and killed a teenager after police said the teen and two others tried to rob him. That incident happened closer to West Reading -- a section of the trail at least one visitor now avoids.
"I went up there two times; I don't go up there no more," Koharcheck said. "I stay here."
Salas-Ramo's body was found closer to Route 724, but still close enough to rattle some nerves.
If you saw anything suspicious, please call the Curmu Township police at
610-777-9595 or Crime Alert Berks County at 877-373-9913.
A brazen crime spree that spread up and down the East Coast of the United States may have come to an end in Berks County.Read More »
- Grillers BBQ for a good cause
- Cabela's honors 'hometown heroes'
- Crews knock out 2-alarm house fire near Bechtelsville
- Fire destroys barn near Robesonia
- Group hopes to open medical marijuana dispensary in Berks
- Hopkins pulls off massive comeback to down Alvernia at NCAA Regional
- Updated Clerk shot in Whitehall robbery listed in stable condition
- Updated Cosby 'holding up' as jury pick gets underway
- Police: Group busted in Berks suspects in other East Coast thefts
- Updated Coroner identifies body found under Linden Street Bridge
- Updated Buckeye Tavern reopens 2 years after devastating fire
- Montgomery County launches app to help those in need of CPR
- Cooler and cloudy this afternoon with areas of rain and fog
- BUSH to rock Sands Event Center this summer
- Easton's Common Space Kitchen gives food entrepreneurs a launching point
- LIVE original lineup to perform at Musikfest this summer