CUMRU TWP., Pa. - Police are investigating the deadly shooting of a man on a popular bicycle and walking trail in Berks County.
A rider discovered the body of Luis Salas-Ramos on the Thun Trail in Cumru Township around 7 a.m. Sunday.
According to police, Salas-Ramos, 41, of Reading, had been shot several times.
"At this point, we don't know exactly where this shooting took place," said Chief Jed Habecker, Cumru Twp. Police Dept. "We know we have multiple gunshot wounds, and we have a person lying on the Thun Trail."
The victim was wearing blue jeans and a red sweatshirt that has the phrase, "Do I look like a people person?" on it, police said.
Investigators said Luis-Ramos has a tattoo with what's believed to be a person's name on the left side of his chest, but they said the tattoo is illegible.
An autopsy was scheduled for 11 a.m. Monday.
Regulars showing up for their morning run or bike ride were surprised by the police presence.
"It scared me," said Eugene Koharcheck.
In spite of the killing, most said the trail is safe, and it won't stop them from coming.
"There's a lot of nice people who walk on the trail," said trail user Don Kosak. "It's very friendly."
This isn't the first shooting on the Thun Trail though. In January, a man shot and killed a teenager after police said the teen and two others tried to rob him. That incident happened closer to West Reading -- a section of the trail at least one visitor now avoids.
"I went up there two times; I don't go up there no more," Koharcheck said. "I stay here."
Salas-Ramo's body was found closer to Route 724, but still close enough to rattle some nerves.
If you saw anything suspicious, please call the Curmu Township police at
610-777-9595 or Crime Alert Berks County at 877-373-9913.
The Boyertown girl's basketball team defeated North Allegheny, 46-35, on Friday night at Hershey's Giant Center as the lady Bears won their first-ever state championship.Read More »
- Royals pick up a point in overtime loss to Adirondack
- Pennsylvania Adult and Teen Challenge rehab center expands
- Reading boys enjoy pep rally, not taking support for granted
- Reading Red Knights sent to championship game in style
- Driver killed, another injured in crash in Exeter
- Police ID victim of fatal pedestrian accident in Marion
- BBB: Reading Wins First Ever State Championship
- Arrest made in overnight Allentown shooting
- Fmr CIA Director reportedly accused Michael Flynn of working to oust Fetullah Gulen
- Fmr Russian spy shares stories of life as double agent
- Man accused of raping 11-year-old girl multiple times
- Allentown man dies in motorcycle crash
- IronPigs show off 2nd largest video board in MiLB
- PennDOT to resurface 15 miles of highway in Bucks County
- 12 mile stretch of Northeast Extension to close overnight
- Law enforcement pushes for return to mandatory minimum sentences