READING, Pa. - Nikita Kashirky's overtime goal gave the Reading Royals a thrilling 6-5 win over the Stockton Thunder in Game 1 of the Kelly Cup Finals at the Sovereign Center on Saturday.
Reading tied an ECHL single-season record with its fifth overtime win during these playoffs.
After trading goals in the first, second and third periods, the Royals took a 4-3 lead on Alex Berry's power play goal with 48 seconds left in the third.
The Thunder tied it when Ryan Hayes scored with 22 seconds left, forcing the game into overtime.
Midway through the overtime period, Nikita Kashirsky scored his second goal of the night, lifting the Royals to an exhilarating Game 1 win.
The Royals and Thunder, who are both playing in their first-ever Kelly Cup Finals, will play Game 2 at the Sovereign Center on Sunday at 4:05 p.m.
- 2.3 magnitude earthquake hits Lancaster County
- Local libraries fight to survive budget cuts
- Berks man who turned life around is giving back to humane society
- Legendary coach honored at Kutztown Area High School
- Boyertown drops Pope John Paul II in PAC baseball tilt
- Police say couple had guns, thousands of dollars of drugs
- Trial begins for accused getaway driver in 2015 killing spree
- Eric Frein sentencing continues Monday, focus shifts to Frein's father
- Updated Small earthquake rattles parts of Pennsylvania
- Updated Police arrest third man allegedly tied to drug deal assault
- Updated Mostly cloudy with a bit of rain this afternoon; rain continues through early Wednesday
- Street closures scheduled for downtown Allentown this week
- Pet owners learn animal CPR to help their furry friends
- Life Lessons: 3 Jars
- State police: 1 killed in crash with State Police vehicle
- Philadelphia cops raid pot-smoking party, arresting 22