READING, Pa. - The Reading School District has said goodbye to its leader just 17 months into her tenure as superintendent.
Carlinda Purcell, superintendent of the Reading School District, has been terminated, effective Wednesday.
After an executive session late Tuesday night, the school board voted 6-3 in a public meeting to terminate Carlinda Purcell as the district's superintendent.
Purcell, who went on a medical leave earlier this month, was suspended for several days in July. Board members would only say then that it was a personnel matter, but sources told 69 News it was due to questions over Purcell's job performance.
Board members have been tight-lipped about Tuesday night's process to terminate Purcell, who was unanimously hired by the board in March 2012. Her contract in Reading was scheduled to run through June 2017.
The board named Karen Gokay the acting superintendent, effective Wednesday.
A brazen crime spree that spread up and down the East Coast of the United States may have come to an end in Berks County.Read More »
- 'A Charlie Brown Christmas' to be performed live in Reading
- Veteran of 2 wars tapped as grand marshal of Exeter parade
- Grillers BBQ for a good cause
- Cabela's honors 'hometown heroes'
- Crews knock out 2-alarm house fire near Bechtelsville
- Fire destroys barn near Robesonia
- Updated Busted in Berks: Group suspected in Victoria's Secret thefts along East Coast
- Many in Cosby jury pool have opinion about guilt
- Police: Upper Saucon man shoots nephew, chases him on golf cart
- Updated Veteran of 2 wars tapped as grand marshal of Exeter parade
- Updated 'A Charlie Brown Christmas' to be performed live in Reading
- DA: Man mocks, assaults person with cerebral palsy
- Coroner identifies body found under Linden Street Bridge
- Buckeye Tavern reopens 2 years after devastating fire
- Clerk shot in Whitehall robbery listed in stable condition
- Montgomery County launches app to help those in need of CPR