READING, Pa. - The Reading School District hosted a meet-and-greet with parents and community members on Monday night to introduce them to the finalist for the superintendent position.
After looking into 25 candidates, the school board chose a finalist to become the next superintendent. His name is Khalid Mumin.
"I believe there is a lot of heavy lifting that needs to be done here in the Reading School District, and I am excited. I am ready. I am well informed to take on the lead to save our kids' lives," Mumin said.
Mumin grew up in Philadelphia and has served as the superintendent of Caroline County Public Schools in Maryland since 2011.
Prior to that, he worked as a teacher, dean of students, principal and central administrator at various school districts in southeast and central Pennsylvania.
He met with business leaders and teachers and made himself available for a meet-and-greet with the public.
Despite the 18,000 students in the district, the room was empty. Parent involvement is one of the many challenges school board members said they are facing.
"We have all these chairs and it was pretty much empty, so it is upsetting, but we will continue to do that. One of the key points of Dr. Mumin's is outreach," said Rebecca Acosta, president, Reading School Board.
The school district was also struggling to balance its budget and fired the previous superintendent in November, but Acosta said the district now have a new board and, with a new superintendent, will hopefully be able to change the district for the better.
"We are a team. We need to work as a team, and we are ready for the challenge to start making a lot of changes," said Acosta.
"Reading is worth the work," said Mumin.
The school board is set to make a final decision on Mumin's hiring next Monday, June 9 at 5 p.m.
- Updated Cosby is in court to ask judge for outside jury for trial
- Updated Warming trend starting this afternoon, but a few showers return tomorrow
- Updated Albert Boscov remembered during memorial service
- Updated Boscov: An American Story
- Updated Bonilla kicks off campaign for Lehigh County Commissioner
- Flemington man sentenced for child pornography
- Life Lessons: Swimming helps asthma
- Updated Strong storms, winds leave damage across the region
- Cell phone store robbed at gunpoint
- Cold and calm overnight under mainly clear skies