READING, Pa. - The Reading Fightin Phils improve to 23-18 on the season as they sweep Monday's doubleheader as they win game one 5-3 and win game two by a score of 3-2 in 8 innings.
In game one, the Fightin Phils scored first off Fisher Cats starter Aaron Sanchez in the bottom of the fifth inning as Cameron Perkins reached base via an error by shortstop Kevin Nolan to score Edgar Duran and Albert Cartwright to give the Fightins a 2-0 lead. The Fisher Cats scored three runs off Perci Garner in the top of the sixth inning to take a 3-2 lead. Garner (4-2) went six innings and allowed three runs off six hits.
The Fightin Phils quickly took back the lead off Fisher Cats reliever Tyler Ybarra in the bottom of the sixth inning as Edgar Duran hit into a fielder's choice to score Zach Collier and Albert Cartwright hit a two-run home run to give Reading a 5-3 lead. Tyler Knigge earned his second save of the season as he retired the side in the top of the seventh inning. Tyler Ybarra (1-1) suffered the loss for the Fisher Cats.
In game two, the Fisher Cats took the lead 1-0 in the top of the second inning as Jonathan Jones hit a sacrifice bunt to score Kevin Nolan who hit a one-out triple. Reading tied the game off Fisher Cats starter Richard Bleier in the bottom of the fifth inning as Brock Stassi hit into a fielder's choice to score Edgar Duran. New Hampshire took a 2-1 lead off Fightins reliever Colton Murray in the top of the sixth inning as Gabe Jacobo hit a sacrifice fly.
The Fightin Phils tied the game at 2-2 off Fisher Cats reliever Randy Boone in the bottom of the seventh inning as Brock Stassi hit a RBI single to score Albert Cartwright. Anthony Phillips hit a walk-off RBI single for the Fightin Phils in the bottom of the eighth inning off Fisher Cats reliever Dustin Antolin to provide the Fightins with a 3-2 win over the Fisher Cats. Austin Wright (2-0) earned the victory.
The Fightin Phils and Fisher Cats will return to action on Tuesday at 6:35 pm from FirstEnergy Stadium. Jesse Biddle (3-4, 3.20 ERA) will be on the mound for the Fightin Phils.
Courtesy Reading Fightin' Phils.
Police took no chances in their investigation of what appeared to be suspicious package aboard a school bus in Berks County, calling in the bomb squad for a closer look.Read More »
- Former BCIU director, RSD superintendent enters race for Congress
- Route 724 reopens upon completion of rain-delayed rock project
- One Tank Trip: Coach #72 at WK&S Railroad in Kempton
- Hawk Mountain bestows its highest honor on Jack Holcomb
- Rain slows project, delays reopening of Route 724 in Cumru
- Bethel-Tulpehocken Library anticipates major renovations
- Updated Jury of 12 on Bill Cosby sex assault case includes 2 blacks
- Man suspected of robbing Forks Verizon store to stand trial
- Updated Sarcoma cancer survivor raises money for research with annual event
- Updated Former BCIU director, RSD superintendent enters race for Congress
- Updated Route 724 reopens upon completion of rain-delayed rock project
- Updated Police looking for Walmart TV thief in Lower Nazareth
- Updated One Tank Trip: Coach #72 at WK&S Railroad in Kempton
- Bluebells not blooming at Lock Ridge Park
- Updated Suspicious package clears school, closes Route 724 in Cumru
- Updated Man charged in Palmerton driveway paving scam