READING, Pa. - A natural gas leak prompted the evacuation of a school in southwest Reading on Wednesday.
The leak was reported around 10:30 a.m. next to the NHS Autism School in the 600 block of Gregg Avenue.
The 38 children and 28 staff members inside the school were in the process of being evacuated when the first firefighters arrived on the scene. The firefighters quickly determined that a large amount of gas had leaked into the building, according to officials on the scene.
UGI crews managed to cap the leak. Firefighters then requested Met-Ed to shut off electricity to the school before they ventilated the building and allowed everyone back inside.
Allentown, PA 18102