ONTELAUNEE TWP., Pa. - A key piece of the Schuylkill River trail in Berks County is ready for hikers and bikers.
Officials cut a ribbon Wednesday afternoon on a new stretch of trail that connects Belleman's Church Road in Ontelaunee Township with Canal Street in Leesport.
"We've been having great responses in the other parts of the five counties where it's been built, and we hope someday it does in deed get completed and people can hike or bike from Philadelphia to Pottsville or the other way around," said Kurt Zwikl, Schuylkill River Heritage Area.
Connecting the 20-mile span between Reading and Hamburg is a high priority, officials said.
- Two zoos mourn the loss of Ernie the giraffe
- Memorial Day celebrations in Berks County
- PHOTOS: Observing Memorial Day
- Updated Visitors celebrate at Dorney Park despite rainy weather
- Updated A place of healing for veterans
- Updated Walking a mile in their shoes
- Updated Weather stops big guest at Pottstown Memorial Day parade
- Updated 'Taps' echoes over Bethlehem
- Updated Memorial Day services across Berks County
- Updated Marking Memorial Day in the Lehigh Valley