READING, Pa. - Riders took to the streets Sunday to remember a Reading police officer who died in the line of duty eight years ago.
69 News was in Bern Township for the start of the memorial ride for Officer Scott Wertz, which began at Classic Harley Davidson dealership at 983 James Drive, off Route 183, in Bern Township.
Bikers traveled through Reading and Berks County, ending at Captain's Cove/Mountain Springs Restaurant, 2619 Hill Rd., in Lower Alsace Township.
It was a perfect day for a ride and a way to honor Wertz's memory.
Wertz served the Reading Police Department for nine years before being killed in the line of duty in 2006.
The proceeds from the ride went to the Officer Scott Wertz Memorial Scholarship Fund, which is managed by the Berks County Community Foundation.
Each year, a senior or seniors from Berks County receive money/a scholarship to be applied toward upcoming educational expenses.
- Coroner identifies man found dead in Schuylkill River
- Former Phillies pitcher Jim Bunning Passes Away at 85
- Body found in Schuylkill River in Cumru Township
- Famed Berks wrestling coach gone, but not forgotten
- Local police step up patrols for Memorial Day weekend
- Bullets blast way into District 3 championship game
- Updated Lehigh Valley Zoo giraffe dies from neck injury
- Countryside is making a strong comeback
- Local man takes business idea to the beach
- Great white shark Mary Lee detected off New Jersey coast
- Catasauqua police nab armed robbery suspect
- Bucks man gets life plus 15 to 30 years in friend's shooting death
- PHOTOS: Observing Memorial Day
- In opioid crisis, a new risk for police: accidental overdose
- Monroe County farm holds annual Farm Animal Frolic
- Package that led to Newark airport evacuation deemed safe