READING, Pa. - Reading is draped in purple -- Royal purple -- after winning its first-ever ECHL national hockey championship Saturday night. The next morning, fans gathered early to snag some swag at the Sovereign Center.
Some fans had to censor their excitement.
"I can't say that on the air," said Louie Albert of Muhlenberg Twp., Berks Co. "The FCC won't allow it!"
It was a late game played in California, but a 6-0 shut out for the Royals.
"We watched the game till two, 2:30 in the morning," said Rory Canon of Oley. "It was great."
Bleary-eyed faithful lined up at the Sovereign Center by 10 a.m Sunday to buy up championship merchandise. Some Kelly Cup items ran out fast.
"Since they don't have a lot, I'm hoping to grab a shirt," said Albert. "They said the hats aren't here and I wanted a hat."
One young fan named Joshua is a Junior Royal. He's waited seven seasons for this.
"It's been long and hard," he said.
But fans said this was a team of destiny.
"We knew this was the year," said Albert. "The team just gelled."
The team is getting a police escort from into Reading on Sunday evening. They were expected to arrive back at the Sovereign Center around 7:30 p.m.
"We lost it all," says woman whose home was destroyed. "No words can describe it. It's gone. It's gone."Read More »
- National Weather Service assessing Pennsylvania storm damage
- Reading Fightins enlist help of students to design special jersey
- Police, coroner probing death of 18-month-old girl
- Berks coroner seeks next of kin for Muhlenberg man
- Albert Boscov remembered during memorial service
- Boscov: An American Story
- Hazmat situation reported in Northampton County
- Man pleads guilty in Stockertown gun club case
- Judge rules Bill Cosby case to be decided by outside jury
- Updated More threats against Jewish Community Centers across the nation
- Updated Man lands in jail on outstanding warrant, $1 bail
- Updated East Stroudsburg needs $1.8 million for dam repairs
- Updated Man dies days after severely burned by cigarette
- Updated Health Beat: ThermiRase: Wrinkle eraser
- Police say pot complaint leads officers to felon hiding gun
- Allentown man found with three pounds of marijuana in car