READING - The Berks County Convention Center Authority and SMG, co-owners of the 2013 ECHL Kelly Cup Champion Reading Royals professional hockey team, announced that they have engaged the services of the W.B. Grimes Sports Advisory Group to solicit and vet private offers to purchase the team.
"On behalf of the BCCCA Board of Directors, we look forward to working with Bob Malandro and the Sports Advisory Group to consider offers by private individuals and investment groups to purchase the Reading Royals professional hockey team," said P. Michael Ehlerman, Chairman of the BCCCA. "We feel strongly that the team, which is fresh off a record-setting championship season, is currently in prime position for private ownership. In that regard, the BCCCA is prepared to show our commitment to the team's success by negotiating a mutually beneficial agreement that ensures the long-term economic viability of minor professional hockey in our community."
"We're excited to work with the BCCCA and SMG in the effort to find the right private individual or investment group to take an ownership position with the Royals," said the SAG Senior Associate, Bob Malandro. "Our management team has had the opportunity to see the pro hockey market in Reading in action—most notably at the 2009 ECHL All-Star Classic—which confirmed our belief that this region is replete with hockey history and support. We believe that Royals are properly situated at the current time to make it an attractive investment opportunity for the right person or persons, and we intend to do all within our power to facilitate a smooth transition to an appropriate ownership group."
The Royals recently completed the team's twelfth year in Reading with the organization's first Kelly Cup Championship. On the way to claiming the Kelly Cup, the team enjoyed the best year ever by any statistical measure imaginable, including wins and points in the standings.
A longtime dream is about to come true for skateboard enthusiasts in Berks County and beyond.Read More »
- Antietam Lake improvements celebrated with ribbon cutting
- Driver trapped when SUV, tractor trailer collide in Maidencreek
- Woman sentenced in death of man with maggot-filled wounds
- KU baseball player surprises girlfriend with on-field proposal
- Reading City Council awards towing contract
- Leibrandt, Pullin pace Reading in series opener at Harrisburg
- Day care owner charged in baby's 2016 death, DA says
- Police ambush killer won't take stand in bid to spare life
- Multi-purpose skatepark planned for Reading's riverfront
- Updated Man accused of hitting, killing wife with truck to stand trial
- Updated Eric Frein laughed about selling story in recorded phone call
- Updated KU baseball player surprises girlfriend with on-field proposal
- Lehigh Valley talks Trump's first 100 days
- Updated Antietam Lake improvements celebrated with ribbon cutting
- Updated Health Beat: First responders save surfer
- Airport authority scrambling to handle more cargo traffic