READING, Pa. - The now-national champion Reading Royals arrived home Sunday night to a cheering crowd of hundreds at the Sovereign Center.
"Just what you see here, it's unbelievable," said team captain Yannick Tifu.
The team snagged its first Kelly Cup ECHL hockey championship in team history Saturday, with a shut-out 6-0 win over Stockton California.
"I stayed up all night, actually," said fan Justin Strohm of Reading. "I had no sleep. I couldn't fall asleep."
John and Louise Morissette of Exeter Twp. actually made the trek all the way to California to watch the game that won it all.
"After the first game we had here, I got home and I told her, 'Let's go,'" said John.
For these fans, this win has been a long time coming. Many of them have been with this team since day one in Reading.
"Since Day One, we have been season ticket holders," said Louise Morissette.
"I missed the first two years," said fan Fred Marks of Reading. "This will be my tenth year, so yes, I'm excited."
If you didn't make it out Sunday night, you'll get another chance to welcome the Royals home. A victory parade is planned for Wednesday night at 6:00, running from Wyomissing to the Sovereign Center.
After they arrived, Tifu could barely hold back his emotions.
"It was great to celebrate with the family, but it was great to celebrate with the city too," he said. "The city waited 12 years for that, and I think they deserve it."
- Crews knock out 2-alarm house fire near Bechtelsville
- Grillers BBQ for a good cause
- Cabela's honors 'hometown heroes'
- Group hopes to open medical marijuana dispensary in Berks
- Hopkins pulls off massive comeback to down Alvernia at NCAA Regional
- Kingery's 2nd blast propels Fightins to 6th-straight win
- Updated Cosby 'holding up' as jury pick gets underway
- Updated Cooler and cloudy this afternoon with areas of rain and fog
- Coroner identifies Lehigh County man killed in Allentown police-involved shooting
- BUSH to rock Sands Event Center this summer
- Easton's Common Space Kitchen gives food entrepreneurs a launching point
- LIVE original lineup to perform at Musikfest this summer
- Rock icons Godsmack to headline Musikfest Aug. 9
- Lehigh County man charged with attempted homicide
- New Jersey police allege gun company sold defective guns
- Small plane crashes in Pennsylvania field, pilot not hurt