READING, Pa. - The Reading Royals shut out the Stockton Thunder 4-0 at the Sovereign Center on Sunday to take a 2-0 series lead in the Kelly Cup Finals.
The Royals used a barrage of goals in the first period to seize control of the game early on.
Alex Berry scored at the 8:32 mark of the first period, and Brett Flemming followed that up with a goal at the 13:33 mark to make it 2-0.
T.J. Syner then scored a power play goal at the 18:23 mark to give Reading a 3-0 lead after the first period.
Evan Barlow added an insurance goal at the 15:11 mark of the second period, making it a 4-0 game.
Goaltender Riley Gill would do the rest. He stopped all 27 shots he saw to earn the shutout for Reading in net.
The Royals, who earned a wild, 6-5 overtime win in Game 1 on Saturday, now hold a 2-0 series lead in their first Kelly Cup Finals Championship Series in franchise history.
The Royals now stand just two wins away from claiming their first ever Kelly Cup Championship.
The series will now shift to Stockton, California for Games 3, 4, and 5.
Here is the schedule for the remainder of the series.
- Game 3: Tues., May 21 (10 p.m. ET) at Stockton Arena, Stockton, Calif.
- Game 4: Fri., May 24 (10:30 p.m. ET) at Stockton Arena, Stockton, Calif.
- Game 5 (if necessary): Sat., May 25 (10:30 p.m. ET) at Stockton Arena, Stockton, Calif.
- Game 6 (if necessary): Tues., May 28 (7:05 p.m. ET) at Sovereign Center, Reading
- Game 7 (if necessary): Wed., May 29 (7:05 p.m. ET) at Sovereign Center, Reading
Allentown, PA 18102
- Berks 69 News