WEST CHESTER, Pa. - Another candidate is entering the race for the seat that will be vacated by U.S. Rep. Jim Gerlach next year.
Republican Ryan Costello, chairman of the Chester County Board of Commissioners, said Wednesday that he wants to represent the 6th District.
"As a county commissioner, I meet and talk with local residents on a daily basis on a range of issues, and people are frustrated by the legislative gridlock in Congress and the slow economic turnaround," said Costello. "The nation and many elected officials have become so divided and polarized that it is impacting the future direction of the country.
Costello said he is proud to have the support and backing of Val DiGiorgio, chairman of the Republican Committee of Chester County.
"Ryan has distinguished himself as a smart and thoughtful leader and dedicated public servant," said DiGiorgio, in a statement released by Costello's campaign. "His fresh and no-nonsense approach to problem-solving and his record of working for taxpayers as a township supervisor and now as chairman of the board of county commissioners make him the clear choice to represent us in Congress."
Costello, his wife and their newborn son live in West Chester.
Gerlach said last week that he won't seek election for a seventh term in Congress.
Mike Parrish announced his plan to seek the Democratic nomination Tuesday.
Manan Trivedi, a physician who ran for the seat twice before, and Pa. Rep. Mark Rozzi, are both considering a run.
The 6th District is made up of parts of Berks, Chester, Lebanon and Montgomery counties.
The Pennsylvania attorney general's office is asking the judge who sentenced former congressional aide Tim Smith for a harsher sentence.Read More »
- Robbery suspect may be linked to other holdups, police say
- More than 100 businesses to strike on May Day
- Reading Health System honors its volunteers
- Disguised deadly drug in Lancaster could soon be in Berks
- House votes to toughen animal cruelty laws, tethering rules
- Crash closes Route 422 East between Mount Penn, I-176 exits
- Updated Convicted cop killer Eric Frein sentenced to death
- Updated Robbery suspect may be linked to other holdups, police say
- NFL Draft kicks off in Philadelphia
- Updated Arts Around Town: Allentown JazzFest joins with Allentown Art Museum in diverse programming
- Updated Possible lethal batch of heroin leads to 6 overdoses, 1 deadly in Easton
- Clouds and some sunshine today as a big-time warm-up gets underway
- Updated Tractor trailer catches fire at Rt. 22 and Schoenersville Rd. in Bethlehem
- Ex-Penn St officials to be sentenced in June over Sandusky
- Allentown police arrest 3 for passing fake checks
- Updated Police: Suspect in killing of Delaware trooper shot dead