The Schuylkill Valley (2-0) and Governor Mifflin (0-1) boys volleyball teams provided some early season fireworks in Leesport Monday night.
The Panthers and Mustangs went back and forth all evening until Schuylkill Valley eventually won out, 3-2, capturing the decisive fifth set, 15-13.
Schuylkill Valley trailed 1-0 and 2-1 in the match, but the Panthers responded both times to even things up and eventually win out.
Mitch Strobel recorded 16 kills for Schuylkill Valley while Frank Melvin had 11. Andrew Lash also had 37 assists for the Panthers.
Jamie Molet led the way for Mifflin with 13 kills. Bryan Beyer had 12 and Alex Cortellessa had 10, but it was not enough for the Mustangs.
The Wilson West Lawn boys (1-0, 1-0) took care of business on the road Monday night, rolling to a 3-0 victory at Fleetwood (0-1, 0-1).
Andre Rivera had 12 kills to lead the Bulldogs. Alex Palmatier added 11 and Kyle Lorenz pitched in ten for Wilson.
Josh Watkins paced the Tigers with six kills.
- Updated Coroner called to Penn Twp. crash along Rt. 183
- Some rain/thunder this morning; PM shower/t-storm
- Lehigh Valley Zoo giraffe dies from neck injury
- Updated Life Lessons: The nurse who paints her patients
- Purple Heart recipient gets honored Memorial Day weekend
- Catasauqua police nab armed robbery suspect
- Countryside is making a strong comeback
- Local man takes business idea to the beach
- Bucks man gets life plus 15 to 30 years in friend's shooting death
- PHOTOS: Observing Memorial Day