READING, Pa. - Investigators in Reading are still trying to figure out who is responsible for the brutal stabbing death of a 15-year-old boy.
Wilberto Rojas, 15, of the 800 block of Church Street in Reading, died on his way to the hospital after his neck was sliced on Friday, said police.
According to police, Rojas's attacker is described as a Hispanic man in his early 30's.
In the aftermath of the murder, Rojas's friends are calling his attacker a coward. They are praying for the boy's family and demanding justice.
Bianca Alarez wiped away tears wishing she had one last chance to see and speak to her best friend, Wilberto.
"Can you imagine someone wanting to hurt him like that?" Alvarez questioned. "No, he was a good kid."
A memorial filled with candles and stuffed animals has been growing near where Rojas lived.
According to investigators, he was walking with a group when a Hispanic man ran up, slashed his throat and then disappeared up Church Street.
Lorena Ortiz saw Wilberto moments before.
"He gave me a hug and a kiss on the cheek like he always does and he hugged me really tight," said Lorena Ortiz.
Wilberto's friends describe the 15-year-old as outgoing and always happy. They say he loved basketball and music. He had just finished the ninth grade and was looking forward to a fun relaxing summer.
Meanwhile, police are working on leads to catch his killer.
Anyone with information about the case is asked to call Crime Alert Berks County at 877-373-9913.
Rescue crews in Berks County were pressed into action after an SUV and a tractor trailer collided Tuesday afternoon.Read More »
- Woman sentenced in death of man with maggot-filled wounds
- Bowl-O-Rama owners pinned in legal battle
- Exeter man charged in alleged check fraud scheme
- Reading City Council awards towing contract
- Leibrandt, Pullin pace Reading in series opener at Harrisburg
- Royals' season ends in Game 6 of first round series
- Updated Day care owner charged in baby's 2016 death, DA says
- Updated Police ambush killer won't take stand in bid to spare life
- Updated Driver trapped when SUV, tractor trailer collide in Maidencreek
- Man accused of hitting, killing wife with truck to stand trial
- Updated Woman sentenced in death of man with maggot-filled wounds
- State police asking for help in Chester County cold case
- Periods of rain or drizzle this afternoon; spotty rain or drizzle continues through early tomorrow
- NASCAR star Dale Earnhardt Jr. to retire at end of season
- 5K aims to promote importance of flexibility
- Four visits by Easton police equal one arrest