HAMBURG, Pa. - A special honor for a fallen war hero is now up for all to see.
Signs have been placed along I-78 in northern Berks County, dedicating a 12-mile stretch of the highway as the ''Chief Master Sgt. Richard L. Etchberger Memorial Highway.''
Etchberger, a Hamburg native, was killed while saving a group of comrades during a secret mission in the Vietnam War.
"CMSgt. Etchberger bravely served his nation and for that, we will forever remember his noble acts," said Pa. Sen. David Argall, R-Berks and Schuylkill counties. "I'm grateful to see this section of Interstate 78 in Hamburg honor one of the community's finest individuals."
In August, Argall and Pa. Rep. Jerry Knowles hosted the Etchberger family for a ceremony at Soldiers' and Sailors' Grove in Harrisburg. The event paid tribute to Etchberger's selfless acts with a marker dedication in the shadows of the state Capitol.
Etchberger was also posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor during a ceremony at the White House last year. His sons were on hand to accept the medal from President Obama.
Police took no chances in their investigation of what appeared to be suspicious package aboard a school bus in Berks County, calling in the bomb squad for a closer look.Read More »
- Former BCIU director, RSD superintendent enters race for Congress
- Route 724 reopens upon completion of rain-delayed rock project
- One Tank Trip: Coach #72 at WK&S Railroad in Kempton
- Hawk Mountain bestows its highest honor on Jack Holcomb
- Rain slows project, delays reopening of Route 724 in Cumru
- Bethel-Tulpehocken Library anticipates major renovations
- Man suspected of robbing Forks Verizon store to stand trial
- Lawmakers send Real ID bill to Wolf, who plans to sign it
- Updated Suspicious package clears school, closes Route 724 in Cumru
- Updated Jury of 12 on Bill Cosby sex assault case includes 2 blacks
- Updated Route 724 reopens upon completion of rain-delayed rock project
- Updated Police looking for Walmart TV thief in Lower Nazareth
- Updated One Tank Trip: Coach #72 at WK&S Railroad in Kempton
- Updated Bluebells not blooming at Lock Ridge Park
- Updated Man charged in Palmerton driveway paving scam
- 'You're not arresting me,' woman tells police