KUTZTOWN, Pa. - Excitement was in the air at Kutztown Middle School on Friday.
"We all love this kid. She's lovely and amazing," said Hallie Schumacher, a school guidance counselor.
Finally, after a little waiting and last-minute sign-making, the guest of honor arrived.
Seventh-grader Sarah Kent was met with cheers from an auditorium full of her classmates and teachers, some of whom dressed up.
It was all because the Make-A-Wish Foundation is sending her to Walt Disney World, and her classmates wanted to send her off in style.
"A little happiness from a long time of major surgeries," said Sarah's mom, Betty Kent.
Thirty-eight surgeries to be exact.
"She's had eye surgery. She's had nose surgery. She had cancer when she was 11 months old," said Betty.
She's now diagnosed with Ohdo syndrome. It's very rare, and it could cause her even more issues growing up.
Yet nothing phases the sassy 12-year-old who's ready to dance her worries away in the Florida sunshine
Sarah is loved by everyone, so it wasn't hard getting her classmates on board for the big reveal.
"I've seen her in the halls sometimes. She's always saying hi to everyone and she's always smiling," said eighth-grader Sarah Love.
Instead of one wish, Sarah is getting three: The school party, her big trip, and a ride on an airplane, the last of which will come Saturday.
"She loves airplanes!" said Betty.
A day after a Southwest Airlines plane suffered a fatal engine failure in the skies over Berks County, investigators turned their attention to the ground below.Read More »
- LIVE: NTSB update on Southwest Airlines engine failure
- PHOTOS: Pieces of Southwest Airlines plane found in Berks
- Berks woman on recent flight: 'It... could have been us'
- Southwest flight victim was bank executive, mom of 2
- 'Outside-the-box' initiative may help would-be scam victims
- State legislator has fond memories of Barbara Bush in Berks
- Updated Search continues in Berks for Southwest jet's missing pieces
- Publisher says model told her about Cosby 'rape'
- Man pleads guilty to killing of his cousin
- 2nd man sentenced in crash that killed man, pregnant woman
- Liquidation firms win bid to take over Bon-Ton's assets
- Updated Bethlehem mayor to be NCC commencement speaker
- Updated New Jersey medical marijuana program moves to mobile platform
- Updated Senate OKs anti-hazing bill drafted after Penn State death
- Updated Easton police respond to robbery at Rite Aid
- Updated Local band to open for Bon Jovi at PPL Center