WYOMISSING, Pa. - Two Philadelphia women are behind bars in Berks County after, police said, they shoplifted from multiples stores and then led officers on a chase that involved several drivers being run off the road.
Sheila Jenkins and Erica May stole hundreds of dollars worth of items from The Children's Place, Charming Charlie, and the Express Store at the Shoppes at Wyomissing on Woodland Road on Sunday, police said.
When the women were confronted, they took off in a minivan and led officers on an 11-mile pursuit, running 10 cars off the road and failing to stop for six red lights and four stop signs along the way, according to police, who ultimately managed to stop the women by using a device to deflate their tires.
May, 29, was charged with retail theft, receiving stolen property, fleeing or attempting to elude an officer, reckless driving, 10 counts of recklessly endangering another person, and multiple counts for the red light and stop sign violations. She was committed to the Berks County Jail on $50,000 bail.
Jenkins, 50, was charged with retail theft and receiving stolen property. Her bail was set at $20,000.
All eyes in the Wilson School District are on the district's teachers and whether they'll take to the picket lines Tuesday morning.Read More »
- Attorney for Reading-based firm first to testify at trial
- Pa. Supreme Court throws out state's congressional map
- Eagles NFC championship gear flying out of stores in Berks
- Berks fans record unique rendition of Eagles fight song
- Football excitement reaches fever pitch in Berks
- Pennsylvania GOP to seek a stop to gerrymandering case
- Allentown Mayor Pawlowski will testify during corruption trial, attorney says
- Updated Pennsylvania GOP to seek a stop to gerrymandering case
- Strike watch: Wilson to make school announcement by 7:30 p.m
- Man dies after fire tears through house in Franklin Township
- Updated Police seize over $4,000 worth of drugs in Pottstown apartment
- Updated Grenade in student's backpack at Lower Pottsgrove Elementary
- Updated Easton police investigate shooting on Lehigh Street
- Police investigate trailer theft in Northampton Township
- Officials demolish North Catasauqua structure to prevent public risk
- Updated Pa. Supreme Court throws out state's congressional map