CUMRU TWP., Pa. - Police took no chances in their investigation of what appeared to be suspicious package aboard a school bus in Berks County, calling in the bomb squad for a closer look.
The box was found Wednesday afternoon aboard a bus outside the Cumru Elementary School on Route 724 in Cumru Township.
The Reading Police Department's bomb squad responded to the scene and managed to determine that the package was a student's physics project that had been left on the bus. It posed no harm, officials said.
Until that determination could be made, however, officials evacuated the few remaining teachers who remained inside the school building after dismissal and closed Route 724 between New Castle Drive and Cedar Top Road, at the entrance to the Kenhorst Plaza shopping center.
Westbound traffic on 724 was forced to turn around in the shopping center's parking lot, causing a backlog of traffic along the normally busy stretch of road between Kenhorst and Shillington.
The road reopened around 5 p.m.
Some holiday party planners in Berks County are finding themselves having to make some last-minute rearrangements.Read More »
- Grease fire damages home near Barto, sends man to hospital
- Bear Creek sets plans to open slopes for 2017-18 season
- 2 hospitalized, more than dozen displaced by fire in Reading
- Reading police say Pear Street shooting now a homicide
- Reading homicide victim leaves 2 young sons, grieving family
- Berks commissioners OK 3.87% tax increase for 2018
- Updated Dinardo and Kratz plead not guilty to homicide charges
- Updated Easton PD: Man shot multiple times on W. Wilkes Barre St.
- State Police: Schwenksville fire caused by extension cord failure
- Tiny house sending big message
- Driver killed in Alburtis train crash identified
- Family describes Jamie Metzger's life at time of disappearance
- Health Beat: Cesium for prostate cancer
- Arts Around Town: Demkee marks 40 years as Allentown Band conductor
- Exeter evicts Viva as country club's caterer, pub operator
- Tom Ridge returns home nearly a month after heart attack