MUHLENBERG TWP., Pa. - The SWAT team was on scene in a Berks County neighborhood for about five hours Saturday.
Muhlenberg Township Police said they were called to 610 Whitney Avenue shortly after 8:00 Saturday morning. According to police, a man inside the home was holding a kitchen knife and threatening suicide. Police said the man was not a permanent resident of the home, but a "on and off houseguest" who is friends with the homeowners. Other residents of the home had evacuated before police arrived, according to a news release from Muhlenberg Township Police.
Police said they contained the man in the rear bedroom, where he barricaded the door. After the man refused to put down the knife and come out, the Berks County Emergency Response Team (BCERT) was requested to the scene. BCERT set up a command center at Laurelain Park, and relieved Muhlenberg patrol officers and a Bern Township officer who responded to the scene, according to police.
Police said the man, who they learned had a history of mental illness, agreed to come out of the home shortly after 1:00 p.m. Police said the man was taken to Reading Hospital where he was committed for an involuntary psychological evaluation.
No one was injured in the incident, according to police.
Sunoco Logistics Partners said there's so much interest in its plans to build a natural gas liquids pipeline across southern Pennsylvania that the company will actually build two pipelines.Read More »
- Coroner called to crash on Interstate 176 in Caernarvon
- Reading parents vent frustrations over safety in schools
- Greenville jumps out to fast start, holds on at Reading
- Boyertown girls secure spot in District I quarterfinals
- Albright men and women to play for title; KU stays hot
- One Tank Trip: Bloom Bloom exhibit at Kutztown University
- Updated Sunoco building 2 pipelines, not just 1 across Pennsylvania
- Man accused of stabbing wife, daughter-in-law in Allentown
- Updated Record-challenging warmth today; close to records Friday
- Updated Coroner called to crash on Interstate 176 in Caernarvon
- Chicago to rock Musikfest this summer
- Updated Philly mayor: $5.7M beverage tax haul doubles projections
- Saylorsburg man faces DUI charge, child was in car
- Life Lessons: Raising a tech entrepreneur
- Easton adopts 20-year comprehensive plan
- Lehigh County supports anti-gerrymandering bill