READING, Pa. - A Reading man has surrendered in connection with the fiery attack on a man inside a city sandwich shop.
Thomas Lopez Jr., with his attorney, James Polyak, by his side, turned himself in to police at City Hall in Reading on Monday.
Police obtained a warrant Friday for Lopez's arrest on charges of attempted homicide, aggravated assault, arson and related offenses.
Lopez, police said, doused a man working inside City Sub and Grocery at South 10th and Cotton streets in Reading with gasoline and set him on fire in April, police said.
The victim, Joel Fontanez, spent nearly two months in a medically induced coma before being released from the hospital.
According to police, Lopez just broke up with his girlfriend, and she started dating Fontanez. The woman warned Fontanez of possible retaliation, and Lopez was seen yelling threats before the attack outside the store, according to court documents.
Lopez was committed to the Berks County Jail on $500,000 bail.
Police took no chances in their investigation of what appeared to be suspicious package aboard a school bus in Berks County, calling in the bomb squad for a closer look.Read More »
- Former BCIU director, RSD superintendent enters race for Congress
- Route 724 reopens upon completion of rain-delayed rock project
- One Tank Trip: Coach #72 at WK&S Railroad in Kempton
- Hawk Mountain bestows its highest honor on Jack Holcomb
- Rain slows project, delays reopening of Route 724 in Cumru
- Bethel-Tulpehocken Library anticipates major renovations
- Man suspected of robbing Forks Verizon store to stand trial
- Lawmakers send Real ID bill to Wolf, who plans to sign it
- Updated Suspicious package clears school, closes Route 724 in Cumru
- Updated Former BCIU director, RSD superintendent enters race for Congress
- Updated Jury of 12 on Bill Cosby sex assault case includes 2 blacks
- Updated Route 724 reopens upon completion of rain-delayed rock project
- Updated Police looking for Walmart TV thief in Lower Nazareth
- Updated One Tank Trip: Coach #72 at WK&S Railroad in Kempton
- Updated Bluebells not blooming at Lock Ridge Park
- Updated Man charged in Palmerton driveway paving scam