READING, Pa. - Infielders Carlos Alonso and Albert Cartwright and starting pitcher Hoby Milner have been selected to represent the Reading Fightin Phils, Double-A affiliate of the Philadelphia Phillies, on the Eastern Division roster during the 2014 Eastern League All-Star Stop at People's Natural Gas Field in Curve, Pa., the Eastern League and Altoona Curve jointly announced on Monday afternoon.
Cartwright and Milner were both named to the team after securing the Eastern League fan vote while Alonso was selected by the Eastern League media and managers.
Alonso heads to his first Eastern League All-Star Game after topping nearly all of the Fightins offensive categories this season. In 76 games this season, the Boston-born Alonso leads the team with his .269 batting average, seven home runs, and 51 runs scored. He also is first among his teammates in total bases (117) and walks (37).
A University of Delaware product, Alonso is coming off his hot month of June where he hit .327 (32-for-98) with nine doubles, three homers, and nine RBIs in 25 games. In all but one of those 25 June games, he reached base safely at least once. He was also named Eastern League Player of the Week (6/2-6/8) after batting .480 (12-for-25) with an .880 slugging percentage.
An Eastern League All-Star last season, Cartwright is hitting .260 with 14 extra-base hits and a team-leading 15 stolen bases in 70 games this season with the Fightins. The 26-year old had a 10-game hitting streak (6/7 to 6/18) where he hit .362 (17-for-47) with eight runs scored.
Milner will head to his first professional All-Star Game with a 5-4 record and 4.07 ERA in 15 starts. The southpaw leads the Fightins in ERA and is tied with Severino Gonzalez for the team lead in wins. He has also struck out 53 batters in his 84.0 innings pitched this season. In 10 of the Texan's 15 outings, he has held opponents to three earned runs or less.
Milner, a 7th round pick of the Phillies in 2012 out of the University of Texas, threw five no-hit innings where he struck out six batters on June 3rd before exiting the game after a lengthy rain delay. The Reading bullpen preserved Milner's outstanding start until surrendering a hit with two outs in the ninth. Through his five starts in June, Milner went 2-1 with a 3.68 ERA while striking out 22 to just eight walks.
The Altoona Curve, Double-A affiliate of the Pittsburgh Pirates, will be hosting 2014 Eastern League All-Star Stop presented by UPMC Health Plan on July 15 to July 16 in Curve, Pa. The Eastern and Western Division squads will face off in the Ghostman Games & Hitting Challenge on July 15 before the All-Star Clash on July 16 to wrap up the two days of festivities.
Courtesy Reading Fightin Phils.
Plans are in place for the public service dedicated to the memory of retail icon Albert Boscov.Read More »
- FBI subpoenas Reading for documents from previous administration
- 'Berks County Time Train' to air 200th episode
- Giant launches 'Bag Hunger' campaign with one-day give
- Jackpot-winning Cash 5 lottery ticket sold in Berks
- Emergency sewer work shuts down Route 100 in Bally
- Berks Catholic boys top Schuylkill Valley in District 3 quarterfinal
- Updated Friday was a day for the record books
- Easton man charged with homicide in fatal shooting
- Updated Al Boscov's daughters, lifelong friend to speak at memorial service
- Missing 6-year-old Connecticut girl found in Pennsylvania
- Judge: Only 1 Cosby accuser can testify at sex assault trial
- New Candidate for Allentown mayor may face ethics code conflict
- Updated Police allege Weis employee helped herself to $7,000
- Updated Health Beat: Cancer treatment unclogs patient's heart
- Updated State police find drugs in false-bottom cans during Nazareth raid
- Too few flushes get legislative candidate thrown off ballot