HERSHEY - The Tulpehocken girls soccer team won the District III-A championship on penalty kicks Thursday night. The Oley Valley boys came up short in the District III-AA game, falling to Pequea Valley.
Tulpehocken and Halifax got things started at Hersheypark Stadium on Thursday night. Both teams went scoreless through regulation and two overtime periods, setting up penalty kicks.
In the shootout, Trojans' goalie Jamie Fisher made three saves. Kristen Ziegler, Kailee Ziegler and Lauren Yoder made shots for Tulpehocken as the Trojans won, 1-0 (3-2 PK's), to capture their second straight District championship.
Both teams move on to the state tournament.
Following that game, the Oley Valley boys looked to bring home a District III title as well. But the defending state champion Pequea Valley Braves had other ideas.
The Braves topped the Lynx, 2-0, on goals from Victor Weaver and Ethan Hoover. Pequea completely bottled up Oley's offense, holding the Lynx to just a handful of shots on the night.
Both teams advance to the state tournament.
- Updated Cosby to ask judge for outside jury for criminal trial
- Updated Warming trend to start the week, but a few showers return tomorrow
- Albert Boscov remembered during memorial service
- Updated Flemington man sentenced for child pornography
- Life Lessons: Swimming helps asthma
- Boscov: An American Story
- Strong storms, winds leave damage across the region
- Cold and calm overnight under mainly clear skies
- Cell phone store robbed at gunpoint
- Lehigh Valley Heart Ball raises money for American Heart Association